Astrophotography - starting out!

I'm an amateur photographer with an interest in the stars. Does that make me an astrophotographer?? Not necessarily. I purchased a telescope and managed to fit my camera to it to take photographs, believing that's all you needed to do. Seemed a reasonable approach......after all, how hard could it be? As it's turned out, it's proven to be the most challenging thing I've attempted to do.  So, what's been my journey so far? Well, I guess I said to myself, after several failed attempts, if I wanted to do this properly I needed some help because simply applying some regular photographic techniques to this hobby was not working. Thanks to the internet I came across www.astrobackyard.com and the brilliant vlogs posted by Trevor Jones on https://youtu.be/ctWNlV5QghA. Through Trevor's vlogs I've discovered so much and taken inspiration and advice from Trevor to build my own setup. Trevor has demonstrated you can achieve fantastic results with relatively modest equipment and the challenges of a city-based location. Check him out on Youtube, his own website and podcast. Highly recommended! This is one hobby that borders on the scientific and technical while still remaining an art-form. I find myself dialing in to the weather forecast, moon phase calendar and star charts more than I do actually taking photographs. I spend more time processing an image than it takes to acquire it - but I am improving.Just look what I can do now....and if you want to know more....just follow my blog. Clear skies!
M31 the Andromeda Galaxy




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short nights? Warm weather? Must be summer!

Time to build the Astroshed

Shoot the Moon