Building my telescope setup - Ebay all the way!

I started off with a 4 inch newtonian reflector on a manual equatorial mount. This was great fun at first. Finding and observing the moon and planets was both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding in the detail you can see with even a modest scope when observing the moon, Jupiter and Saturn; frustrating in the realisation that everything is moving! How are you meant to take photo of something that's disappeared from the field of view even before you've had time to take the lens cap off and how on earth are you meant to get it in focus?? I had some success with snaps of the moon using a small digital camera but Jupiter was out of reach with this setup. Didn't take long to work out I needed to involve a computer and a motorised mount - but which one? 

After selling my  newtonian to a work colleague I managed to pick up a Skywatcher Alt-Az GOTO mount with 5 inch Maksukov Cassegrain telescope attached. My first punt on Ebay for such an item - but what a fantastic buy. This was a really compact but powerful scope allied to a mount that was rock steady and "found things", provided you could master the alignment routine. So, off to the back garden on the first clear night I went. 2 hrs later and much cursing I managed my first 2-star alignment!! Proud of my achievement, I searched through the objects listed on the handset database and went for my first deep sky object (DSO), the Andromeda galaxy.After much whirring of gears and sounding like a coffee grinder, the scope settled on my chosen target. With great anticipation I put my eye to the eyepiece and said to myself "Is that it??" Honestly, all that fuss and frozen fingers and all I can see is a large fuzzy blob? Where were the dust lanes? This thing was meant to have billions of stars in it? Feeling quite deflated I went for another DSO but this time it was a smaller, more faint fuzzy blob. Time to re-evaluate.

On reflection my anticipation and expectation was driven by the promise of the images adorning the box of my first scope. I can see why a first-time telescope buyer would be deeply disappointed in their purchase if their experience was the same as mine.....but to be honest, It just made me even more curious as to how amateur astrophotographers were achieving almost Hubble-type quality in their pictures. Further research was required so onto Youtube I went and wow, information overload! Where to start? Luckily I found Trevor Jones @ www.astrobackyard.com. And things started to click. More Ebay activity followed and, within the space of 3 months I had landed my first proper mount, a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro and a bigger, more powerful Skywatcher 6 inch Mak - cos bigger is better, right?

Well, bigger is steadier - absolutely rock solid - which is great for taking pictures - but oh my, it is heavier. Much heavier. And it takes longer to set up and break down. I needed a more permanent solution.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short nights? Warm weather? Must be summer!

Time to build the Astroshed

Shoot the Moon