Capturing Orion


Finishing my build of the Astroshed coincided with the start of Autumn in the UK and the first realistic chance of getting some decent time on the winter constellations. I'd planned to tackle M31, the Andromeda galaxy first but I found myself limited by the high magnification of my Skywatcher 150 Mak. I just couldn't get the framing I was after and soon realised I needed to reduce my focal length, either through a focal reducer for the Mak or just get a smaller scope.

My attention turned to Orion, the Hunter. Probably the constellation most people would recognise, with the 3 stars forming his belt,Betelguese (pronounced Beetle_Juice)the large orange star forming his right shoulder, Rigel on his left ankle and of course the Orion Nebula, an object I had enjoyed looking at as a boy through my first pair of binoculars, forming part of Orion's sword.




M42 - The Orion Nebula
I'd seen some wonderful images of the Orion nebula in many publication and forums ...spectacular images showing Orion in a variety of colours, either full RGB, narrowband or a blend of both. I have a modified DSLR as my main camera and I knew I would be able to get a lot of the detail in nebula, but nothing really prepared my for the first image I took of M42......I mean, WOW! I still can't believe I took this picture. 60x30 sec images stacked in DSS did preserve the detail of the central core known as the trapezium. OK, what else is up here....?



As it turns out, quite a lot!

The Horsehead and Flame nebula
This one really challenged me. Again I'd seen some amazing images of these to nebulae....as impressive and iconc as M42 in my opinion...but how do you deal with the bright start Alnitak? I'll share some of my early attempts here. These images were all taken through my 150 Mak, sometimes with a focal reducer, sometimes without. All with levels of frustration with my image capturing and processing skills. I gave up during November 2017, dug deep into my pocket and purchased a small refractor.....




















The joy of a refractor
Christmas 2017, and things start to drop into place. I manage to bag an absolute pristine 2nd hand Altair Astro 72 ED-R refractor for a fraction of the original cost and put it to work on Orion. What a difference! All of a sudden, my images and data gathering sessions came to life. Easy focusing, guiding and better image quality became available to me. Excited to put this to use I turned my scope back on the Horesehead and Flame nebula........what a difference!

The following day I switched over to The Orion Nebula with equally impressive results, now incorporating the running man nebula




......and finally, Orion in wide field format.
I'd never heard of Barnard's loop until if flicked through the pages of the christmas present, Astronomy Photographer of the Year (collection 6) from my son, Joshua. On page 131, there is a superb wide field shot of Orion sat next to the milky way, taken by Zhong Wu from Yunnan province, China. The picture shows a mass of red nebula swirling around Orion's belt and sword. Not visible to the naked eye and easily missed if you're just concentrating on the usual targets in Orion - but just as impressive as the horsehead.


I had a brief attempt to capture this with my DSLR mounted on my telescope mount with a 70-300mm zoom lens. The weather was against me but I did get enough data to show a faint outline of Barnard's Loop with the flame, horsehead, running man and Orion nebula central to the image.

Orion is moving out of reach for me now, setting over my house too early in the evening to get some decent time on it....so I'm already looking forward to next autumn and have plans to re-visit this iconic constellation, possibly with some narrowband data...

Equipment used for these images:

  • Skywatcher 150 Maksukov-Cassegrain scope
  • Altair Astro 72 ED-R refractor scope
  • HEQ5 Pro Mount driven by EQ Mod
  • Orion Guidescope with QHY5II-C camera
  • Canon 450D (modified)
  • Carte De Ceil planetarium software
  • Backyard EOS
  • PHD2 guiding
  • Deepsky Stacker
  • Photoshop CC
  • Lightroom CC
Clear skies everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short nights? Warm weather? Must be summer!

Time to build the Astroshed

Shoot the Moon